Saturday, March 12, 2011

Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings



Goodreads

What I Liked: This book grabbed my interest just from the title. Toe Rings?  Mermaids? Awesome. What was not to like? The book didn't disappoint. 

 Jade is an  unforgettable character that you can't help but care about. Her mom is missing and presumed dead, she has just gotten her first period in the most embarrassing way and she has just sprouted a set of mermaid fins. Just another day, right?Top that with a new crush and some friend troubles and you have yourself the perfect  summer read.

With a penchant for chocolate cake cups (recipe included in the book! Squeee!) and caramel chocolate Wigwags, Jade is a mermaid girl after my own heart. 


What I Didn't: Not a thing.  I read it in one sitting. More please...

Overall: I enjoyed this book. It was quirky, fun and full of teenage angst. Who hasn't had an embarrassing moment? Or three or four?  This book totally captures that feeling. Combine that with an adventurous mermaid story of self discovery and you will be turning the pages just as fast as I did. Luke, the crush was totally hot and the interplay with her friends was spot on.  It was excellent. No, I will not give you any spoilers. You will have to read for yourself. I can tell you that this book is totally worth your while and it has a chocolate mug cake recipe in it. (It was delicious by the way!) Chocolate! Yum!

So, when you are looking for a new mermaid book, look for Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings. I know you will love it as much as I did.

5 out of 5 stars.
Freak of nature takes on a whole new meaning...
If she hadn't been so clueless, she might have seen it coming. But really, who expects to get into a relaxing bathtub after a stressful day of shopping for tankinis and come out with scales and a tail?
Most. Embarrassing. Moment. Ever.
Jade soon discovers she inherited her mermaid tendencies from her mom. But if Mom was a mermaid, how did she drown?
Jade is determined to find out. So how does a plus-size, aqua-phobic mer-girl go about doing that exactly? And how will Jade ever be able to explain her secret to her best friend, Cori, and to her crush, Luke?
This summer is about to get a lot more interesting...
"Absolutely fresh and sweet, a quirky coming of age story."
-The YA-5

3 comments:

  1. Gotta admit that YA is not my preferred genre, but you had me from the title here. This one I've got to read and I am SO HAPPY there are no vampires. SO TIRED of vampires.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this book until now but it looks really good! Great reiew :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good book. I've been wondering if there was a good mermaid book out there. Thanks for the review.
    Talia
    http://taliajager.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!