Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Fins by Ashley Knight


Morgan James is visiting sunny Florida for two weeks before the school year begins. Right from the start, she realizes there's something strangely odd about the opulent world in which her mother and her new husband live and suddenly she is swept into another world - a world she could never have dreamed of. Follow Morgan's unbelievable journey in this magical tale of people who are something other than what they seem - OR, are they really people at all?
(Goodreads)

My thoughts....

What I liked:

This book is fast paced and didn't let me put it down. Being a blogger with 6 blogs, I tend to be a little ADD when it comes to reviewing books. I have to be just to keep up with my rigorous schedule of working full time, blogging and reviewing for six different types of material, writing my own two books, attempting but not often succeeding at getting on the exercise bike, being a dog mom, wife and keeping the hairballs from taking over my house. This book had me stopping in my tracks to find out what happened next.

I loved Morgan for her insecurities and strengths. Without getting too much into the plot (I don't like to give away the story before you have had a chance to experience it for yourself!), I loved how she adjusted to a really odd situation of suddenly hitting what was essentially mermaid puberty and a total change in scenery and lifestyle from what she had grown up with.

The plot moved in a steady wave and I kept flipping the screen on my iPad to get to the next chapter. The interaction with the characters was good and Thayde, the hunky hero was just dreamy.  Oh, and so was her bathroom and her closet. Take me to mermaid town!

What I didn't:

There was only a couple of moments in the book where I had to re-read or wished there were more development of the scene. It didn't matter in the end though, because I was right back to whisking my way through the pages devouring the story.

Overall:

I loved this book. It is what a mermaid story should be. A balance of romance, peril, excellent clothes, cool bathrooms ( I really liked that bathtub and all the sparkly shells everywhere) and the hunky hero Thayde.  Morgan learning she is a mermaid and coming to terms with her new life have me hooked well, like a fish! I am hoping to see more from wonderful author Ashley Knight and her world of adventurous mermaids.

This book is available as a Kindle edition and in paperback.

If you are interested in more mermaid reads, head over to Goodreads and check out the Merbooks group. Check out more reviews here in the weeks ahead!

Rating: 5 out of 5

If you would like to read more about Ashley Knight, please visit her web page at:





3 comments:

  1. This is an honest review and gives many hints but doesn't give the whole story! I could feel from reading your review that you really did like "Fins." You better hold on to your mermaid fin because Ashley's sequel, "Fathom" will be out very shortly. Her books just get better and better!

    I am very proud of Ashley!

    Joyce Norman
    Chalet Publishers, LLC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dana for such a kind & honest review. I have enjoyed our Facebook friendship & look forward to many more years! All the best to you & yours - Ashley Knight

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not as eloquent with words as I should be. Thank you Dana for saying everthing I would like to! Once I started reading Fins I could not stop; it was as though I were under a spell! I even made my husband wait for his dinner until I had finished!
    And thank you Ashley Night for a wonderful read. I am anxiously awaiting your next book and many future books to come! I am very proud of you and your work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!