Monday, October 13, 2014

Lycaon Monday: Awakening



What would you do if you learned everything you knew about the world was wrong? Microbiology student Elena Michaels is about to find out. After a few chance encounters with Alexavier Edmunds, a strange but intriguing student on campus, Elena is on the run from an ancient organization of angel-like beings. Strange things are awakening within her, and there is only one with the answers—the Elder. But can she make it to him in time?

Buy link:


Excerpt:

Elena's face felt cold as the blood drained from it. She had not seen the woman's mouth move while she spoke. She sobered almost instantly, the hackles on her neck rising as she stared at the woman's cold smile. She recognized the voice in a moment of lucidity as the one she had heard at the airport, their tail, their stalker—one of the Opposition.
My mistress was right, the woman's voice continued. She told me it would be a matter of time before one of you two slipped up. The amazing thing is you both slipped up at the same time. The woman turned to Elena.
The woman stood nearly a whole foot shorter than Elena and appeared much more fragile. Elena tried to gauge whether or not she would be able to handle this woman on her own. She knew from experience Daimon men were quite powerful, but never expected such strength from females.
Let me clue you in on some secrets. First, Daimon men cannot handle their liquor. In fact, all Daimones are very quickly undone by alcohol. The woman eyed Elena up and down before saying, Second, you could never take me on. To illustrate her point, the small woman gripped the countertop and crushed a small section of it into powder.
"What do you want from me?" Elena asked.
The choice is simple, the woman replied mentally. Either come with me to see my mistress. Or...
"Or?" Elena asked, realizing she would regret this decision.
Or you and your companion die, the woman replied. A placid and sickly happy smile spread across her face as she said it.
The woman's evident pleasure at making such a dire threat sent a chill down Elena's spine. She conjured up the most severe feeling of pain she could imagine and directed it right at the Daimon woman as she had done to the other Daimon in Canada. However, instead of the anticipated effect of crippling pain she had seen in the Daimon man, the woman's eyes flashed, and then she laughed.
Silly girl, the woman said to her mentally. I am no mere weakling. Your foolish mind games have no effect on me.
Alec...I need your help! Elena cried out, hoping beyond hope he would hear and come to her aid.
The woman started laughing even louder. A terrifying grin crossed her face. He can't hear you. Alcohol impairs Daimon abilities. And Alec has had a few too many. I guess I shouldn't have bought him so many rounds!
Elena didn't wait for the woman to move. Filled with blind rage over being trapped by this woman, she pressed her attack. If her death was on the menu, then she would take this woman with her as dessert.
Elena bowled into the small Daimon woman, throwing all of her weight into the attack. To her surprise, the woman fell backward with her arm clutching at the sink.
She didn't stay down for long, though and responded by pushing back at Elena with startling speed, shoving her back a few paces.
Elena responded as fast. She threw her hands up in anticipation of the Daimon woman's attack. However, she couldn't fathom what kind of attack to expect coming at her.
The small woman was lithe. She maneuvered herself underneath Elena's arms and thrust upward with both arms like lofting a volleyball lifting Elena off of her feet and throwing her into the far wall. Elena managed to turn herself sideways in order to absorb her impact with the wall and push herself off into a counterattack.
Elena rushed across the room. The woman crouched at her approach. Instead of missing her target, however, Elena lowered her center of gravity and leapt, flying over the woman's back. While sailing over her opponent's body, Elena stretched out and grasped the woman around the waist.
Elena's momentum carried her forward, and she tucked her head and rolled, pulling the Daimon woman off her feet and flipping her onto her head with startling force. The Daimon's legs flailed and slammed into the large wall mirror, shattering it.
But she did not stay down for long. Before Elena could right herself, the woman leapt up and moved back across the room. Elena stood and whirled to face the woman but was caught off guard as a fist struck her across the face. Surprisingly, it did not carry much force. Elena brushed the blow off and delivered her own to the woman's chest, forcing the woman back several feet.
The Daimon crumpled, winded by the force of Elena's attack. When the Daimon stood again, she clutched a large shard of the broken mirror, which she wielded like a knife.



Thanks Scott for joining me at the Bookpile! 

1. I write because…
This is going to sound cheesy and cliché, but I write because it is part of my soul. I have written fiction my whole life, but didn't decide to transition into it full time until only a few years ago. Since then, I have been writing my heart out. And to tell the truth, there is nothing more I would want to do for my vocation.

2. If I were your favorite cookie, what would I be?
My favorite cookie has always been a coconut macaroon. There's just something about the flavor and texture that completely appeals to me.

3. Plotter or pantster?
I am a little bit of both, actually. I like to have a general idea of where I need the car to go, but let the details of the journey evolve by themselves. I feel this approach leaves me open for plot shifts when the story calls for them, but also allows me to stay focused on the endgame.

4. What is your favorite type of character to write about and why?
My favorite type of character to write about would be the "others" from a first-person perspective—anyone not the main character. My background is in anthropology, history, and archaeology and I like to be an observer of people. While watching, I like to think up a person's back story based on their appearance and interactions. Writing about the "other" characters outside my main first-person character allows me to do the same thing.

5. Hamburgers or sushi?
I would have to go with a bacon double burger with mushrooms.

6. Name three things on your desk.
My laptop, a drinking glass, and candles (I usually set myself up on the dining room table).

7. What books have influenced your writing style?
I am an avid reader and all of them influence me one way or another. My strongest influences, I feel are HP Lovecraft, ER Burroughs, and Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child.

8. Tell us a little about your book.
Awakening is the tale of a Elena Michaels, a college student wanting to study genetics, and whose whole world is torn apart. After meeting a mysterious stranger on campus, Elena learns the world is not what she ever thought it was. She finds herself thrown in the middle of a long civil war between two warring factions of angels—one seeks to dominate humanity, the other seeks to enslave it. Accompanied by Alexavier Edmunds, she begins to experience a strange new world as she struggles to find the Elder—perhaps the only one who can help her survive.

9. What advice do you have for new and aspiring authors?
My advice for new and aspiring authors is to keep at it. Keep working, keep refining, and keep a positive attitude. There will be many disappointments along this journey, but they are not barriers—only tests of your conviction.

10. What is next on your writerly horizon?
Currently I am working on several new projects. I have a standalone horror story, a spaghetti western gunslinger series set in a post-apocalyptic society, and of course, the sequel to Awakening. Some interesting stories will be coming up in the future. Keep your eyes peeled and be sure to follow me on Facebook, Google+ and Twitter for updates.

Top 5 favorite (pick one) desserts, movies, things to eat, ice cream flavors, books.
Top 5 Favorite Movies:
The Goonies
Harry Potter (whole series)
Chronicles of Riddick (whole series)
Transformers (whole series)
Count of Monte Christo



Scott Wieczorek is a professional archaeologist working in the American Middle-Atlantic region. He has written numerous short stories and several full-length novels ranging from science fiction to paranormal mystery to horror. In addition, he writes reviews of books by Independent authors. Samples of his work are available on his blog at wieczorekfictblog.blogspot.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!